When preparing your home for sale, It is important to take the time to declutter and depersonalise your home. Potential buyers need to see your home as a blank canvas, but the idea of hiding precious possessions can be daunting, which is why we’ve come up with some top tips to help you prepare your home for sale.
Let’s start with a couple of benefits of decluttering your life.
- Firstly, there is less to clean and dust. Imagine the stress of trying to sell your home whilst keeping countless possessions dust free to maximise presentation. Take the stress out of this scenario and declutter before you get to this step.
- There is a financial benefit to decluttering. Whatever possessions you do not wish to keep can be placed on Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree, eBay and the likes, which will assist in the costs associated with a sale and moving house.
Our top 5 tips
- Start by entering your home with a fresh set of eyes. Imagine you have never seen your home before and take everything in. Write down your first impressions; perhaps ask a friend to do the same. This will help you to see the clutter in a new light.
- Grab four boxes. Mark one as ‘Keep’, one as ‘Sell’, the third as ‘give away’, and the last as ‘bin’. Start in one room, and work your way through your home without missing a single item. This will take a while, but once you are done, you will thank yourself!
- Donate, or sell clothes that you don’t wear. Lay your wardrobe out and split in to two piles. One that you wear a lot, and other items that you haven’t worn in a while. Try on each piece and donate anything that won’t be worn moving forward. There are a few amazing charities that need your help! Here is a list of Op Shops and charities that may be near you! https://opshop.org/
- Start a decluttering checklist. This will give you a visual representation of your goal.
- Start with just 10 minutes a day. It’s amazing how 10 minutes over the space of a few weeks can gain so much momentum, and who knows, you might start to have fun with it!